have you ever thought how magnesium deficiency can affect your body ?
did you know that magnesium deficiency can cause a dysfunction in the work of the central nervous system !!
well ! it does,
keep reading to know more.
The human body needs a healthy, balanced and integrated diet so that it can live a healthy lifestyle, resist the pressures of daily life, reduce the risk of chronic diseases and maintain, overall, its health. To be healthy, the diet should contain all the nutrients, including carbohydrates, proteins, Vitamins, and mineral salts, Magnesium is one of the basic elements needed by the human body.
Magnesium is one of the mineral salts that should be present in a diet, and magnesium is the fifth mineral element in terms of the amount present in the human body, and Is the second mineral salt in terms of the amount present inside the cells.
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency in the body
Magnesium deficiency is rare due to its wide spread in food, and it usually appears only with the presence of diseases such as: alcoholism, protein malnutrition, kidney disorders, vomiting, prolonged diarrhea, dyspepsia and difficulty of absorption.
The lack of Magnesium causes the following symptoms :
- Muscle spasm : contractions and muscle cramps.
- Dysfunction in the work of the central nervous system, which can explain the hallucinations that occur as a withdrawal of alcohol.
- Personality troubles.
- Nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite.
- May cause coma.
- Lack of calcitriol hormone (active form of vitamin D).
- Bone dysfunction in young people or osteoporosis in older persons.
- Magnesium deficiency increases the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
you’ve got it !!
Magnesium functions in the body
- 60% of the body’s magnesium exists in the bones, it plays an important role in its composition, a high intake of magnesium increases bone density.
- It plays a key role in the energy production processes, it increases the body’s ability of using glucose, the manufacture of fats, proteins, nucleic acids.
- Magnesium works as an adjunct to more than 300 enzymes that act to digest food components and to synthesize many compounds from metabolism.
- very important in protein synthesis processes within soft tissue cells.
- regulates the work of muscle contractions and blood clotting, calcium stimulates these processes while magnesium inhibits them
- Relaxes the muscles.1
- prevents tooth decay by keeping calcium in the teeth.
- Has a role in supporting the work of the immune system.
- It has a role in the transmission of nerve impulses and normal functioning of the nervous system.
- Helps to support the work of insulin; magnesium is one of the reasons for the positive effect of eating whole grains on the work of insulin.
- Magnesium is used to treat high blood pressure in pregnant women with preeclampsia.
Magnesium is present in good quantities in legumes, seeds, cashew, peanuts, whole grains, green vegetables for being part of the chlorophyll pigment such as spinach, broccoli, cocoa, dairy products and some kinds of fish,on the other hand, fruits, except bananas, are considered a weak source of magnesium as well as meat.