one of low serotonin symptoms is depression, how is that and how to treat serotonin deficiency !!
let us have a look on what serotonin is !
Called also the hormone of happiness, it Is a chemical substance that serotonin neurons are responsible for producing in the central nervous system, it is also produced in the digestive system.
This substance has a major role in controlling the functions of neurons that transmit messages to the brain and motivates it to perform its functions.
There is a large proportion of these chemicals, up to 90 percent in the intestines, while the rest ( 10 percent ) in the central nervous system.
Serotonin’s major function is to control mood and regulate it, It also regulates sleep, appetite, muscle contraction, stimulates memory, and supports platelets in its work. Any imbalance in its levels of production leads to disturbance of the human health condition. This imbalance may be either an increase or a decrease.
Vitamin b complex benefits, sources and side effects
- stimulates milk production in the nursing mother.
- Strengthens bones.
- Contributes to the maintenance of heart health and ensures its efficient functioning.
- Maintains the efficiency of blood vessels.
- Stimulates cells to divide.
- Supports liver regeneration.
- Contributes to improving mood and strengthening social relationships.
Serotonin has a range of benefits that affect positively the human life :
- Feeling happy.
- Sleeping well.
- Good appetite.
- Strong memory.
low serotonin symptoms
serotonin deficiency is the decrease in the proportion of serotonin in the human body than normal levels, it does directly affect the mood of a person, causing depression and bad mood, also memory is to be affected by lack of serotonin…
here are some other symptoms :
- Mood disorder.
- Depression, it is one of the most common symptoms.
- Premenstrual syndrome.
- Loss of concentration.
- Very weak memory.
- Loss of self-confidence.
- Insomnia and sleep disturbance.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Disorders of the digestive system, such as diarrhea.
- Feeling pain in the head, accompanied by headache.
- Sweating, and high temperature.
- Inability to remember things, and recall information.
low serotonin causes
Several causes lead to lack of serotonin, including :
- Psychological stress, it is one of the most influential reasons for lack of serotonin .
- Not taking enough food containing appropriate amount of protein.
- diets with few calories.
- drinking too much coffee, and caffeine-containing substances.
- Making no sort of sport.
- Genetic factors that lead to a decrease in serotonin production.
- Vitamin D deficiency.
- Exhaustion and fatigue.
- Lack in practicing sport.
Treatment of serotonin deficiency
The treatment of serotonin deficiency cosists on a suitable diet to the patient, a diet with nutrients containing serotonin, namely: fruits, such as bananas, kiwi, rice, potatoes, meat, milk, chocolates, fish.
However, in cases of illness accompanied by symptoms of severe psychological effect such as depression, therapeutic drugs are described as contributing to the psychological treatment of the patient.
Prevention from low serotonin symptoms
A set of advice should be followed to help prevent serotonin deficiency, including :
- Adequate hours of sleep during the evening.
- Practicing sport.
- Balanced diet, based on program prepared by a nutritionist.
- Stoping smoking, and keeping away from drinking alcohol.
- Getting out of the house and walking under the sunlight.
High serotonin levels in the body
The human body is exposed to high serotonin rates while undergoing treatment for some mental illness or depression, the body raises the level of the neurotransmitter above the normal level, resulting in an acute feeling of happiness and excessive loss of concentration, and may be accompanied by some of the folowing symptoms :
- Sleep disorder.
- Heart palpitations and pulse acceleration.
Sources of Serotonin
Serotonin can be obtained from several sources :
- pineapple, banana, kiwi, walnut.
- Protein-rich foods such as chicken, liver, and meat.
- Colorful vegetables such as: carrots, okra, spinach, pumpkin.
- Fish, especially fatty fish such as salmon, fish oil and foods high in omega-3 do contain high levels of serotonin.
- Black chocolate, increases the proportion of serotonin.
- Carbohydrate-rich foods, it is proven now that carbohydrates stimulate the coposition of serotonin.
- Chewing gum increases the secretion of serotonin.
- Foods rich in soy, stimulate secretion of serotonin.
- Flax seeds, or flaxseed oil, flax seeds are natural substances that contain a high proportion of omega-3 fats.
- Blackwheat plays a role in raising the rate of serotonin, because it does contain a proportion of vitamin “B” that works to fight depression, and activates the secretion of insulin, which in turn removes various acids from the blood.