do you know that magnesium foods can help you have a balanced mood ?
are you aware that magnesium deficiency can lead to depression and anxiety ?
Magnesium is a very essential metal and one of the most important types of minerals needed by the human body, that is because it is not made inside the body but is obtained through food, It is known that the lack of magnesium in the body causes convulsions, fatigue, insomnia and depression, a lot of people do actually suffer from magnesium deficiency. in this article we will cite foods rich with this mineral, in addition to the benefits and symptoms of magnesium shortage .
Food rich with Magnesium :
- Roasted and Dehydrated Pumpkin Seeds, Squash and Watermelon Seeds: These foods are one of the most common types of foods containing magnesium, providing about five hundred and thirty-five grams per 100 grams of magnesium.
- Nuts, almonds, flax seeds, sesame, sugar molasses, sunflower seeds, soybeans, and cocoa (black chocolate).
- Wheat, rice and oats.
- Dried herbs such as dill, mint, coriander and garlic.
- Cereals like beans.
- Bananas, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and okra.
- Corn and dates.
- Leafy vegetables like spinach.
- Flour or whole flour.
- Dairy products.
- Beans and lentils.
- Black Honey.
Benefits of magnesium for the body
- Very useful for maintaining the heart healthy as it prevents the accumulation of calcium on the walls of the arteries , thus get rid of fat excess, which prevents them from sclerosis.
- Adjusts the level of cholesterol in the blood by increasing the rate of good cholesterol and reduces the proportion of harmful cholesterol.
- Protects the body from heart attacks and brain strokes.
- Lowers the level of high blood pressure as it helps in relaxing the muscles.
- Contributes to bone building as it has an active role in the process of digesting the minerals and carbohydrates that takes place in the body.
- Treats osteoporosis.
- Protects pregnant women from premature birth and helps in the stabilization of pregnancy, especially in its early stages.
- stimulates the body to produce special enzymes related to energy production.
- Treats some kinds cancers.
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency :
- Depression and anxiety.
- Loss of sleep ability (insomnia).
- Pains in the muscles and spasm of the body.
- High blood pressure level.
- Beeing very sensitive to high voices.
- Severe pains during menstruation.
- Feeling tired and suffering from stress.
- Accelerated heartbeat.
Things that reduce the magnesium rate in the body.
- Adopting unhealthy diets throught eating too many junk foods, meat, pastries, white flour, sugar and salt, all of which are unhealthy foods and do not have important benefits for the human body.
- Drinking big amounts of diuretics such as coffee and tea.
- Taking pressure medications contributes to the lack of magnesium in the body.
- Bad mental condition and constant exposure to stress, tension and anxiety lead to magnesium deficiency, so one should stay away from stress and try to relax.
magnesium and potassium
potassium is a metal like magnesium, it can obtained from food, and does play an important role in the body, by protecting blood vessels from oxidative damage, and helps to preserve the walls of vessels, in addition to its role in maintaining normal blood pressure and health of the kidneys.
Together we will have a quick tour on the best varieties of food that contain a good amount of potassium, starting by :
- Sweet potato is one of the most common varieties that contains potassium. and not banana as rumored. A longitudinal piece of sweet potato slices contains about 694 mg of potassium and 131 calories, as well as fibers, beta carotene and carbohydrates.
- Tomato sauce or tomato paste, a quarter cup of it contains about 664 mg of potassium, while half of a cup contains 549 mg.
- Fresh Beetroot, a half cup of it contains 644 mg of potassium, it is an important source of folic acid too.
- Green beans are rich in potassium, with about 600 mg of potassium in half a cup, green beans are an important source of fibers too.
- 240 grams of plain skimmed milk contain 579 mg of potassium, it is also a product that contains probiotics, natural bacteria that can help in digestion and maintains intestinal health.
- 90 grams of canned or fresh oysters contains about 534 mg of potassium, and a good concentration of vitamin B12.
- Three quarters of a cup of dried peach juice contains 530 mg of potassium, while half a cup of cooked peach contains approximately 400 mg of potassium.
- Carrot juice is rich in potassium, with three-quarters of a cup containing more than 500 mg of potassium, as well as its usefulness in maintaining healthy eyes.
- Black molasses are one of the important sources of potassium, as a tablespoon of it contains approximately 500 mg of potassium, in addition to a good amount of iron and calcium.
- Ninety grams of fish contain nearly 500 mg of potassium, such as salmon and sardines, fish also contains healthy fats that help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Soy is a good source of protein, as it fights infections that may attack the body, knowing that half a cup of cooked soybeans contains about 500 mg of potassium.
- Winter gourd contains less than 50 calories per serving, but contains a lot of vitamin A and fibers, and half a cup of it contains 448 mg of potassium.
- One medium-sized banana fruit contains approximately more than 400 mg of potassium, it contains carbohydrates and other foodstuff.
- Each cup of skimmed milk has about 382 mg of potassium, in addition to other nutrients, such as calcium.
- Three quarters of a cup of orange juice contains 355 mg of potassium, orange juice is also a good source of calcium, folic acid and some vitamins.